Monday, August 31, 2009

The Color Purple


Sometimes ideas come into my mind and possess me until I have finished and put them to rest. Such was the case of making jam. I had found a place where I could go pick raspberries and blackberries here in Utah County. So off Sabrina and I went last Saturday to pick and pick. We had ordered some pre-picked flats also, as the thought of 95+ degree weather and being 7 months along didn't seem to mesh well with picking all day long.

So we can home with our spoils and I enter the kitchen with great gusto. I cleaned and scrub all the surfaces, and shredding 4 big zucchinis, one that was the size of a small baby elephant to put in the fridge for later use. So away went the jam process. Needless to say our kitchen turned the color purple by about 5 or 6pm. However, by 9:30 pm it was all cleaned up and looking fabulous. Praise the man who discovered bleach! It was well worth the effort, as the children have already consumed one jar of jam, I mixed the blackberry and raspberries together. Yummo!

So now I just have those 2 big bowls of tomatoes staring longing at me and whispering "Don't forget about us!" and less we forget the 2 huge bowls of shredded zucchini patiently waiting for their turn to be of service. I sometimes wonder if I have ended up like my mother, where I spend the entire day in the kitchen and watch as my days efforts disappear in a blink of an eye (usually around 3pm when they all come home from school). Then to be asked a minute later "What's for dinner?" and that today folks (like most days) is a mystery yet to be solved, hopefully by 5pm it will be a closed case, as now my jam ideas have been.

1 comment:

  1. How very domesticated! I remember gathering blackberries with you and Sara's parents many years ago! Fun times. The jam sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete