Thursday, September 17, 2009

Coming Home From School!



There is nothing like the joy of walking into the house after school and smelling fresh baked goods. Most of my growing up years were spent in that exact scenario, Mom absolutely lived in the kitchen. We all, and I mean all of us Dad included, came home for lunch each and ever day. We would leave her in the kitchen at the start of the day, find her there at lunch time and discover her still there at 3:30pm when we would all return from a day of unparalleled learning! :)



Yesterday I felt pretty sorry for my children, as they haven't been coming home to anything freshly baked for a while. So I whipped up my LEGENDARY cinnamon rolls and had just taken them out of the oven when the kids walked through the door. Spencer's first words that greeted me were: "What is THAT I smell? Oh YES!" Later on I looked over to him and he looked a little sheepish and said "Well, it is only my 2nd one Mom!" I smiled and told him eat up. Those hollow legs of his never seem to be full!



It was a new experience though this time, to have enough left over to freeze for lunches and another after school snack. You see, dear reader, for the last 2 years my younger brother Allen has lived here and had an uncanny ability to drive up just as I would turn the oven off. He would finish off most of what was ever left by my family. We miss him and his wife terribly, and are still not quite sure if we have fully forgiven them for going back home.......but the allure of walking into Mom's house with all her fresh baked goods does make for a good counter-argument!


I love this photo of Allen, Angie and Olivia. This was taken at their wedding dinner the night before they were married. Olivia seemed to pop up in all the photos just as the camera clicked!

1 comment:

  1. Ummm--yeah. I remember your wonderful cooking. I need another neighbor with your talent! No one can whip up good stuff liek you can Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete