Saturday, April 17, 2010

Family History at Hand

This Saturday (April 17th) we decided to go on an outing to the Salt Lake City Cemetery to see if we could locate some family graves. After a few phone calls as to the wear abouts of the cemetery, then another for the exact location of the grave site, we hit gold.

John Tanner is my children's 5-greats-grandfather (6 generations back). There has been a recent movie made about his life and contributions to the church in the early years. My children thought the movie was fantastic
and were rather excited about finding his grave site.

Spencer has been studying US History this year in his Social Studies class and thought it was exciting to think he had a ancestor that was born 2 years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence. John Tanner's life was extraordinary, it amazed my children that they had ancestor that not only met but knew the Prophet Joseph Smith. I have been so grateful to be able to share with my children the stories of their great pioneer heritage, and hope that I can cover all the bases in Utah before we leave in May. I am excited to be closer to England and hope to get all the people, places and their stories put together, that I may do some great family trips there as well. To be able to go where my Grandmother Betty's family joined the church and sailed across to America will be an adventure I can't wait to take! Not only England, but Belgium will be close at hand, my Grandmother Julianna was born there, it would be fun to go see that as well.
.
This is the grave site of Nathan Tanner Sr. and Rachel Tanner his wife. Nathan was John Tanner's eldest son and is the line we come from.

The children had to stop and take a photo next to President Hinckley's grave. Down a ways was President McKay, close to John Tanner was President Woodruff, James E. Talmage, George Albert Smith and many more. It would be a great family home evening to have a list and see if we can find all the sites for all the prophets that are buried there. Maybe I'll get that together before I leave!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment