Thursday, June 24, 2010

Welcome to Norway!


Some people have Welcome Signs waiting for them when they arrive at a new home. Others have balloons, candy, flowers etc. We had our own Welcome to Norway!

The day after we arrive it was St. Hans day in Norway. I'm not sure the details of WHY there is a celebration, all I know there is usually a party, and a bonfire. For the last several years Kenneth's cousin Jan (it is a boy name in Norway) has built all sorts of fun things down by the water. Last year it was a full size boat, I think it was one you would imagine Captain Jack Sparrow would find worth of commandeering, one year it was a Star Wars ship etc. So this was he finally year providing all the fun for the people of Stavanger, and he went out in a bang, literally. He built a cowboy town that was simply amazing. All the buildings (except the hotel) are named after Neil Young songs (you see Kenneth's other cousins have a band that are called the Reil Neils, they sing a lot of Neil Young music). So the Hotel was named in our honor as a Welcome home to Norway. The children thought it was great, as did I. Tusen Takk Jan!
So the following photos are of the Cowboy Town that found itself fairly east of the Rio Grande and yet you sat there waiting for the dusty tumble weed to blow on by.





I'll follow this entry tomorrow with photos of the big celebration and fire. After that blog entries may be hit and miss until we get moved over and set up across the street. Just know we are all healthy and arrived safely here, just waiting for one more suitcase that can't seem to make it out of Iceland at the moment. I hope it does soon, as all my other shoes are in that bag!

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!!! I didn't know Jan did all that! Seriously amazing!!!! So, I have had MAJOR homesickness for Stavanger lately so please hils everyone for me and give them mange klemmer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie that looks amazing! T-Dawg would have loved that, he is really into Buzz lightyear and Woody so he rides a pretend horse and shouts "run like the wind bullseye!" Anywho, we miss you like crazy! It will hit bad when we go down to Provo to take Oak and Bonnie isn't there for the first time in my American History. I told Bella and Tristan Grandma and Aunt Becky were coming to visit and she shouts, "Aunt Bonnie! Aunt Bonnie too?!" You are not forgotten. Anytime Cinderella is mentioned Bella says "Aunt Bonnie has it!" (the movie)and doesn't stop saying it until I acknowledge her. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete