Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hollow Legs

You have all heard the numerous stories of raising "A Growing Boy!" I grew up watching my mother try to tame the appetite of my brothers, sisters and myself, and the only thing that worked was baking 5 loaves of bread about every other day. You see, dear reader, that one loaf was consumed by 3:45pm, we got home at 3:30pm from school.



Of course there remains the legend of my grandmother Tollestrup, who baked her bread in her roaster (I think I am remembering this correctly). Slices of these loaves were bigger than a side of beef, and this she did faithfully every day, just to keep ALL those Hollow Legs filled in her house!

So now I start my own journey to tackle what I like to call "Hollow Legs Aliment." Kenneth refers to this affectionately as "Those dang Tollestrup Genes."

There are many symptoms for this, but here are just the top 3: (in my book)

1. Grumpiness beyond all reason
2. Zero ability to reason with the bearer of this aliment.
3. Much stomping, storming and grumbling around the house by those inflicted by the disorder

One can avoid the inevitable crisis, if one plans ahead by doing the following:

1. Always have a treat on hand, ESPECIALLY when picking the person up from school and going directly to piano lessons.
2. Baking daily, from bread to cookies to squares, anything to temporarily fill them up before dinner.
3. Having their favorite cereal on hand. Remember this is just a "snack" not a meal.

Also don't forget you need drinking glasses the size of a small country. With these tips in hand may your home forever be calm and serene and smell like freshly baked bread!



Just in case this doesn't show up, Spencer is posing for a "Got Milk" ad (check out the mustache). And yes he is the one in our household who has caught this infectious aliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment