Friday, October 8, 2010

My Sunday Talk

My mother asked if I would upload my talk for Sunday onto the blog. So here it is, luck for me I can give it in English and have a translator right there beside me.

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone's burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

Last year in October General Conference President Monson gave a talked entitled: "What Have I Done For Someone Today?"

He quoted the following Scripture in Luke Chapter 9 vs 24

"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it."

I believe the Savior is telling us that unless we lose ourselves in service to others, there is little purpose to our own lives. Those who live only for themselves eventually shrivel up and figuratively lose their lives, while those who lose themselves in service to others grow and flourish—and in effect save their lives.

Service can provide us an opportunity to help "bear one another's burdens that they may be light. Comfort those that stand in need of comfort."

President Monson continued by stating:

How many times has your heart been touched as you have witnessed the need of another? How often have you intended to be the one to help? And yet how often has day-to-day living interfered and you've left it for others to help, feeling that "oh, surely someone will take care of that need."

We become so caught up in the busyness of our lives. Were we to step back, however, and take a good look at what we're doing, we may find that we have immersed ourselves in the "thick of thin things." In other words, too often we spend most of our time taking care of the things which do not really matter much at all in the grand scheme of things, neglecting those more important causes.

The thought of being caught up in the "Thick of Thin Things" really struck me. How many times do we run through our days at full speed ahead trying desperately to get to the bottom of our "To Do List". During this past conference last weekend President Uchtdorf talked about this very thing. He said:

Let's be honest; it's rather easy to be busy. We all can think up a list of tasks that will overwhelm our schedules. He goes on to say: It is good advice to slow down a little, steady the course, and focus on the essentials when experiencing adverse conditions.

As a mother I sometimes fall into the category, where I feel that my entire day is in the service of others. My To Do list is proof alone. Watching conference this weekend, however, I was able to see how much better I could serve my family, and those around me. President Uchtdorf if you remember talked about how in family relationships love is really spelt T-I-M-E, time.

Our lengthy daily "To-Do List" is often full of meaningful, needed things that do indeed need our attention. However, we must be able to choose those items that are "better or best" on the list.

Making and taking the time for service, adding it to our "To Do List" will enrich our lives, and strengthen our testimonies. Diligently doing the things that matter most will lead us to the Savior of the world. So we can assume that through our service each day, may it be big or small we are following the Savior admonition to "Come unto him". President Monson said a little poem in his talk, one he had heard many years earlier, but had stayed with him. I really loved it and wanted to end with it today.

I have wept in the night
For the shortness of sight
That to somebody's need made me blind;
But I never have yet       
Felt a tinge of regret
For being a little too kind.9

May we all find the joy that comes from serving our brothers and sisters that are around us each day. Remember the words of our Savior in Matthew 25:40


When you have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Whether they be family, friends our strangers, as we lose our lives for the Savior, we will find joy and rest with him as well.

1 comment:

  1. Very uplifting! I will never forget your goodness in cleaning my bathrooms when we were moving from Wymount. I don't think I had slept very much all week and just didn't think I could handle it. It was Bonnie to the rescue!
    You're an amazing example of service. Our best to you all!!!
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete