Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Silent Soothing Hum

Have you ever had a chance to be in your kitchen working when the house is quiet and all you hear is the silent humming of your dishwasher? It is my favorite time, and it only comes once in a while. The other day I was washing up from some meal or snack, I don't remember which since they seem to all blurr together now a days. I am not looking forward to Spencer being a teenager, I can hardly keep a head of his stomach now a days, heaven helps us when he is older and going through a "growth spurt", then add another teenage boy just 3 short years behind him and my electric bill is doomed! (From the constant opening of the fridge to see if something had magically appeared since the last time they opened it 2 minutes earlier).


Back on topic now....(I was just interrupted by Spencer demanding to know where the Sprite is!)

There are certain sounds and smells that have a penetrating effect on my mind and cause me to stop if only for a brief moment. Sometimes I am swept back to times gone by, I think all my siblings will agree when they hear they sound of a westminster chime they all go back to childhood and the clock that hung on our living room wall. I think my mom won that clock with her "Club Z" points, if any of you can remember back that far.

There is something calming about the dishwasher humming along though as you wipe the counter downs. I enjoy that time of day when I have a few precious seconds and can take a deep breath and slow down the world for a tiny little moment.

Life here is actually pretty calm nowadays. We have postponed any extra activities until next year with the exception of piano, although I am still on the hunt for a teacher at the time being. We've even chosen to skip Halloween this year (I must admit I'm not that disappointed), however, that means I'll be in the Christmas Spirit a little earlier this year. It is getting darker earlier already, cold to the bone somedays and this morning it snowed-if only for a blink of an eye.

2 comments:

  1. You have a dishwasher...I am sooooo jealous :( I am so over washing dishes which is where I am headed now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that sound too! I also love the smell of warm water with laundry soap and hot dryer sheets on days when I am pumping out clean laundry. A clean and tidy house is so calming and makes everything feel complete.

    Amen to skipping Halloween! wish I could hop over that holiday completely.

    ReplyDelete