Thursday, October 7, 2010

Spring Roll Magic!

One of the things I do like about living here is a little shop full of Oriental Foods. Not that I am, by any stretch of the mind, an expert on the ins and outs of Oriental cooking, but I do make a mean spring roll. After a few tutorial lessons from Kenneth's Aunt Gro, I set out to make the ultimate spring roll! After a quick shopping trip for the essentials I set off to recreate the spring roll all on my own.

The filling: brocolli, bean sprouts, carrots grated, chinese cabbage, onions, ginger, chicken, and spicies. You send everything through the food processor and combine!
As you begin to roll you need to make sure the filling lies on a tiny square of spring roll dough. This ensures that the filling will stay put inside the roll and not burst through when frying.

A finished spring roll, all glued down by the use of egg whites.
The finished batch, all rolled and ready for frying!
Frying to a golden crisp! We eat these with a Sweet Spicy Sauce that they sell at this quaint little shop, one day I'll sneak my camera in and take a photo for you all. I need to make friends with the cook there (as they do sell finished food there as well) their noodle dish is to die for!
The children all enjoying the spring rolls, we have 2 add ons, cousin Therese and an American friend Colton Lasswell. Unfortunately the Lasswell family will be moving in about a week, they had plan to stay out the school year but Exxon decided differently. They will be missed. I think we're going to try to start this as a conference weekend tradition. I planned to make enough for both Saturday and Sunday, but everything was gone by Saturday afternoon!

1 comment:

  1. Our tradition for conference is to make cinnamon rolls. It's a lot of fun to have a treat to look forward to every six months.

    ReplyDelete